Session expires randomly

Hi, I have this problem , When I start a Session everything seems to be
ok but sometimes with no reason the session vanishes.

I'm using PHP 4.3.4 as a Apache module.
Apache version is 1.3 under Suse Linux 8.2

All settings are default , I mean session_cache_expire is 180 min.
I understand that this setting should make sessions last for at least 3
hours but in my case it seems not to be true since the real duration
varies from 20 minutes to an hour

I use session_start()
and then on any routine I verify the existence of certain session
variables.

Is the server expiring the session automatically for some reason?

Thanks
Mauricio