Re: Protecing files

On 8/30/05, Thomas <tomatosh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Thanks for all the answers. I had not considered leaving the xml file
> outside the webroot (duh!). However, in this case I don't think it would
> work, as the project is working through a svn structure (and some boxes run
> Linux, otherwise Win).
> I thought that the .htaccess would have been the best (apparently not?).
> Anyway, I will give the filtering out of the .whatever a shot.

You can put the rule for filtering out a .whatever into a .htaccess
file, using the code I gave you above. I discouraged the use of
.htaccess because the apache group discourages it for performance
reasons. If you enable .htaccess, then apache has to check every
subdirectory in your webtree for a .htaccess file, which may be a
resource waste.

The simplest solution if you can't rely on an outside-webtree system,
would be to rename your file.whatever to .htfile.whatever, although it
is a bit of a hack, and not portable to other servers. The same can be
said however about .htaccess.