Re: Automatically generated emails

Rory Browne wrote:
> The thing is that we do want to help. We want everyone to have as
> positive experience as possible with PHP, and I've personally spent
> hours in the past helping people with their various PHP Problems, both
> on this list and elsewhere, so you'll understand if I take issue with
> your suggestions.
>
> Most of us here on the PHP list, and particularly the majority of
> those who have responded to this post are in the habit of bending over
> backwards to help people out...........
>
> BUT:
>
> We need something to work with, and you haven't given us much. You
> need to give us WAY more information.
>
> What part of generating the email are you having problems with? Are
> you for example having problems getting the information from the form,
> in your PHP script? Are you having problems getting the mail()
> function to work? Are you having problems getting the text into the
> format that you want it in?
>
> You've asked a very broad question, and unless you can focus it down a
> bit, then all we can do is either ask you for clarification, or direct
> you to the PHP manual. In this case, I would direct you to the pages
> for predetermined variables(in this case $_GET and $_POST), sprintf,
> and mail
>

> www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.php#reserved.variables.get ,
> www.php.net/sprintf , and www.php.net/mail
>
> It would take a very long answer, and a waste of ours and the manual
> writers time if we simply rewrote what was already in the manual.
> Having that said, feel free at any stage to ask us for clarification
> of something you don't understand, but we request that you make some
> reasonable effort to solve your own problems before jumping to the
> list.
>
> On 8/29/05, Ravi Gogna <rg335@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Nice to know that newbies are well looked after on these lists. If you
>>didn't wanna help, you could have not clicked reply
>>
>>Jay Blanchard wrote:
>>

>>>[snip]
>>>Yes.
>>>[/snip]
>>>
>>>Watch out, this'll start a flood of "why can't you be nice"? e-mail
>>>

>>>John, any relatives still in LA?
>>>

>>--

While we're on the subject...

Stop top-posting. ;)

Seriously, however - as others have suggested, http://www.php.net/mail
should get you well on your way.  Use the manual as your number one
reference.  If you cannot figure it out using that, then resort to the
list.  You're more than welcome to write to the list at any point in
time, however, if you do a bit of research first, it will save a
considerable amount of time for both you and us.

Hope that helps
-dant