Image Rendering/Generation Options

Hello, all -

I've seen a few times, albeit I don't know how, people generate images on a page in different ways, such as maybe using base64 to output the raw image data into a page? Is this correct?

If so, what does it "look" like?  How would one go about doing this?

If not, what are my options to achieve something like this? What are my alternatives? What kind of performance impact, if any, does this make on both the load on the server and the rendering time for a given image to the client? Last but certainly not least, is this a dumb idea?

What I'm looking to do is to deliver dynamic content to the browser, without writing images to disk. I simply want what would be written to disk, be displayed in a specific area I'm talking about.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Once I get a few more clues here, I'll be able to figure the rest of this out pretty well, I'm quite sure.

As always, thanks for the time
-dant