Re: PHP Security

On Fri, August 26, 2005 12:32 am, Chris Shiflett wrote:
> Of course, if you ever see a news story that describes PHP as a web
> service protocol, you probably want to stop reading immediately. :-)

The actual text is:

"...in a Web service protocol FOR PHP"
                           ^^^
[emphasis mine]

The subject of the sentence is XMLRPC, and thus it does not
technically call PHP a "web service protocol" -- It labels XMLRPC as a
"web service protocol" which, in my limited understanding of RPC,
would not be considered inaccurate.

Granted, the article is plastered with PHP all over it, to garner
attention, when the Truth is that the flaw is in older versions of
XMLRPC.

Granted, the sentence construction throughout is very carefully
constructed to blame PHP while being technically correct in
assignation of blame on XMLRPC to the careful reader.

Granted the same bug would presumably manifest in XMLRPC for any other
language using that same code-base.

Still, it DOES seem to be technically correct, and has useful
information such as A) an upgrade to correct the issue B) credits to
the people who worked to find and fix the problem.

Seems like I've seen a LOT worse anti-PHP articles.

PS To the original poster:  Forget trying to convince your school
admin to install PHP.  Rent space on a decent PHP host, and put a
re-direct page in your school's computer to your REAL site. Make your
site infinitely better than everybody else in your school. The problem
will then solve itself.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm