RE: 'God' has spoken... :-)

> Not only that, but as time goes by, community support (this list for
> instance) for 4 will likely diminish as others move on to later releases.
> Not only will the die-hard PHP4 users find it harder to get
> answers to their
> questions, but their answers to others will become less relevant to
> newer-version users.

I can speak form experience here, not PHP as this is such a wonderful
community, but Lasso. I used Lasso v3 from 2001-2005, hooking a FileMaker
solution to the web for a relatively small but complex UK-wide university
service and didn't need to upgrade to v5 when that rolled out (it wasn't
broke etc etc).

As I developed the PHP/MySQL solution that has now replaced it, I still
needed to maintain and improve the existing Lasso site. I found that I was
one of the only v3 users on the list and started getting nil responses to
pleas for help.

If you have the time, it's worth going with the flow, if not, then consider
jumping at say - every two years (at most) to keep up to date.

Just my 2p (no cents in England)

George in Oxford