Eli wrote:

<?
$obj_eval="return new $class(";
for ($i=0; $i<count($args); $i++)
   $obj_eval.="\$args[$i],";
$obj_eval=substr($obj_eval,0,-1).");";
$obj=eval($obj_eval);
?>

I believe that this is the kind of clever, evil stuff the OP was trying to avoid... (evil - eval :-) - besides eval is very slow - not something you (well me then) want to use in a function dedicated to object creation which is comparatively slow anyway (try comparing the speed of cloning and creating objects in php5 for instance

regardless - nice one for posting this Eli - I recommend anyone who doesn't understand
what he wrote to go and figure it out, good learning material :-)

You're right that using eval() slows.. But using the _init() function as you suggested is actually tricking in a way you move the constructor params to another function, but the initialization params should be sent to the constructor!

true enough, thats why I suggested the OP might want to reevaluate the whole
idea ... personally I don't see much point in a create() function for new objects.

but anyway :-)

I guess that it would be better if PHP will add a possibility to construct a dynamic class with variant number of params... ;-)

there is always runkit.