RE: Restarting windows from php

Could be that he's trying to use PHP to restart the server.  Or could be using php via command line or through a system like GTK or Winbinder.  It's worth noting that you should make sure you're restarting the machine you think you are, but the question still remains...  is this possible and how is it done?

If shutdown can't be forked, is it an issue of PHP spinning off the program and not and returning control to PHP before the program is finished (so they run concurrently)... if that's the case, is there a way to make PHP give full control to the program it calls?

If just using EXEC to call a program is considered 'forking', is there another method?  Could you use PHP to EXEC a script file that ran shutdown instead?  Would this behave better?

Is there a way to do this and/or any tricks to making it work?

I think that's the question being asked.

-TG