Session-problem? Simple counter won't work

Hello to all,

I'm working on a server where even a simple counter-script won't work.

session_start();
if (isset($HTTP_SESSION_VARS['counter'])) {
   $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['counter']++;
} else {
   $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['counter']=1;
}

On every refresh the counter is set to 1.

I dont' know, where to search for the reasons.
The server is a normal service providers server. My customers site is using sessions and they are working on his site. My script lays in a subdirectory of my costumers site, protected with a .htaccess.:
The PHP-Version is 4.0.6.
The values for the session-parameters are, as far as I see, standard:
session.save_handler: files
session.save_path: /tmp

Register-globals is set to on.

Has anybody an idea where the problem lays?
Is it possible that I don' have the right to write into the /tmp-directory?

It would be very nice of you to give me some tips. I don't want to ask my customer silly questions.

Thanks in advance
Sabine