Re: set variables based on HTTP_HOST

Hello Joe,

JS> Is this potentially bad, security wise, to do something like this?
JS> Can you guys recommend any way to tighten this up a bit or do this
JS> sort of thing better/more eloquently?

$_SERVER is, thankfully, _mostly_ populated by the web server, not the
client. HTTP_HOST certainly falls into this category. The only thing
you probably shouldn't do is rely on it always being there, so have
some catch-all set of headers / css if it's not set (mind you, if that
happens you've got a bigger problem on your hands! but it'd stop your
site breaking).

JS> <?
JS> $Host1 = array ('name1.host.com');
JS> if (in_array ($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'], $Host1))
JS>          {
JS>          $HeaderImg = "/headers/name1_header.gif"; // define graphic
JS>          $SiteCSS = "/css/name1_css.css"; // define css
JS>          }

Why are you creating lots of arrays and then using in_array to check
them? Just seems a little pointless in this instance as it gives you
no real benefit - comparing a one element array against a variable is
just...  well.. comparing a variable with a variable! So why not do
that? Perhaps a switch block would serve your needs better?

switch ($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'])
{
       case 'name1.host.com':
            $header = ..
            break;
}

etc - then you can combine multiple hosts into one section and have a
default set at the bottom.

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--