RE: parallel execution of php code?

Martin van den Berg wrote:
> I have this piece of php-code which inserts data into a database.
> Before inserting it must verify if the data is unique. The php code
> looks something like:
>
> $query = "SELECT id FROM mytable WHERE bla LIKE " . $x .";
> $rows = execute( $query )
> if ( $rows == 0 )
> {
>    /* some more processing */
>   $query = "INSERT INTO mytable ...... etc etc
>   execute( $query )
> }
>
> Now here is the problem: when the user enters the page, and directly
> refreshes the record is inserted twice.... Is is possible that both
> requests are processed simulatiounsly by the server (apache on linux)?
> And can I add something like a critical section or semaphore to
> overcome this problem.

The problem with the approach above is that a race condition exists between the
check for the existence of the row in question, and the insertion of that row.  It's
possible that the two requests can come so close together that both of them execute
their selects before either do their inserts.  It's not very likely in the simplest
cases, but as the amount of traffic (or the number of users you have who like to
quickly click refresh) increases there is a greater chance that this race condition
will cause a problem.

In my opinion it's best to let your RDBMS handle this concurrency problem, since
it's best equipped to do that.  Ideally you would be using some sort of constraint
to prevent duplicate rows in your table...whether this is a primary key, unique
index, foreign key, etc.  Inserting a duplicate row should result in an error from
the database.  In that case you can trap for the error in your PHP code (using
functions like mysql_error()) and handle it appropriately (for example, displaying a
friendly error message, or simply ignoring the query).

Another approach would be to start a transaction with a high isolation level before
executing the select, but to me this is less desirable because depending on your
database system it may cause contention problems if the entire table has to be
locked.  Simply attempting the insert and catching the error should be much lighter,
assuming it's possible to create the appropriate constraint in your database.

HTH