Re: Setting up a new box from scratch?

Brian Dunning wrote:
Hey all -

I have an unused Pentium box here, recent, well loaded with RAM and HD. I want to turn it into a LAMP box. Never done that before; is there a preferred one-stop-shop installer CD or anything (easy - knock on wood)? It would be nice to end up with some kind of decent web GUI for admin.

As others have responded, any linux distribution will come with packages to install the different components of LAMP. The 'easy' part depends on which distribution you choose, and how it does the install process.

Most people recommend Madrake (now called Mandriva), Fedora (RedHat) or SuSE. Ubuntu is another one I see mentioned quite often. I would recommend you that you give the 'LiveCD' versions of these distributions a try before you decide to install one permanently. I've heard from other users that ubuntu's install process is very easy, but of course, YMMV.

Also note that almost all of the distributions I mentioned here are designed for desktop use, which means that unless you customize the install, you will get a complete desktop system (including X, and one of KDE or Gnome). This is fine if you want to use the PC as a workstation from time to time. However, if you just want it to be a server (ie, no monitor, no keyboard, just plug it into the network) then you will have to customize the install process to uncheck those items that you will not need (like X, for example).

For your other part -- webmin is a great utility for managing servers if you are uncomfortable with the shell. Your distribution will probably have a package (or RPM) for it, so just install it as per your distribution's install process.

Hope this helps,
Burhan