RE: sorry for asking here,a small apache query

There are two ways to accomplish what you are asking.  The quickest way,
without any modfication to httpd.conf, is to place an empty index.html or
other default index page into that directory.  This will prevent the
directory listing from showing up.  The other method, is to change
httpd.conf to disallow indexing on all directories for the docroot on down.
To do this, "-Indexes" needs to be added to the <directory></directory>
directives for the docroot, although this may be one of the many
configuration directives which have changed between v1.3, v2.0, and v2.1 --
see http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/ for more specific information on
guidance on how to accomplish this.

--
Michael Viron