Re: Interesting Referer behaviour- how to copy it?

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 8/5/05, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

he runs php5, you run php4 - is the following set on his server perchance?:

echo $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];
//or
echo getenv("HTTP_REFERER");

note that $HTTP_REFERER is depreciated in php5.
also the freeBSD box may have a firewall that is stripping the referer header
- freeBSD is the paranoid man's *nix of choice after all - at least all the
security freaks I know prefer it.

actually I did a bit of googling and there is a slim possiblity that the
firewall software on your PC is munging the referer header - try turning it off

also proxy servers may be stripping the header.

Thanks, Jochem, for looking into this. I just this minute figured out
my mistake- I was typing in the address out.php into the browser,
because I was expecting the referer to be out.php. But, the referer
that is sent is the page that LINKS to out.php!!  As there was nothing
linking to it, there was no referer! I'm now digging a deep hole to
bury myself in...

have a spade on me my friend ;-)

Dotan
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/137/crosby_stills_and_nash.php