RE: Setting up a new box from scratch?

> Hey all -
>
> I have an unused Pentium box here, recent, well loaded with RAM and
> HD. I want to turn it into a LAMP box. Never done that before; is
> there a preferred one-stop-shop installer CD or anything (easy -
> knock on wood)? It would be nice to end up with some kind of decent
> web GUI for admin.
>
> Thanks....

You should be able to set up a LAMP box directly from the distro's install
CD.  Grab the distro of your choice, run the install, and during the phase
of the install where you choose the packages you want, choose Apache, MySQL,
and PHP.  That will get you going with LAMP.

On the other hand, there are real benefits to doing it yourself.  Install a
base Linux system, then go get the latest-greatest from the Apache, MySQL,
and PHP websites, and install them seperately.  You will not only get the
latest versions that way, but you will gain a better understanding of how
they fit together.

JM