Re: Regular expressions book

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:10:40 -0500, Edward Vermillion wrote:

> Stefan Lemmen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've want to dig a bit deeper into regular expressions for php.
>> I wonder if anyone can help me choosing between 2 books I'm considering buying:
>>
>> 1. Open Source Regular Expression Recipes - Nathan A Good
>> 2. Mastering Regular Expressions - Jeffrey Freidl
>>
>> If your using/reading one of these books, please let me know which one
>> is best for PHP regex.
>>
>> Thnx
>>
>> Stefan Lemmen
>> Apeldoorn Holland
>>

> Haven't read the first, but the second is very good. It really helped me
> to grasp the concepts of regex.

Also, you could try the O'Reilly book - Mastering Regular Expressions.
It's hardly bedside reading, but very thorougher.

It isn't PHP specific, but it is a very good guide from the ground up. It
isn't very good for 'quick reference' cookbook type stuff, but it will
give you a very good understanding of regex.

If you run Linux as a OS, there are a couple of regex gui's
(KregExpEditor for KDE) which are helpful. You 'design' the expression in
the interface and it gives you the actual reular exp as the result. I
am finding this a good way of learning, i.e. figuring out how the result
came about...

Just my thoughts...

Steve