Timezone date/time conversion

I'm sure something like this has already been written and I'd
hate to redesign the wheel.  I've searched google but came up
empty and am wondering if any of you guys have what I am
looking for. Basically I need a function that will convert a time from one
time zone to another.  Such that if I passed in a timestamp and
specified that the conversion be made from CST to EST, it would perform the requisite calculation. Or if I specified CST
to GMT, etc.
Does anyone have something like that?

thnx,
Chris