Re: Help with a Parse Error

Tom Chubb wrote:
I have changed it a bit, and don't have the old code now!!!
I saw a post which identified a problem using isset when $var = ""; as
it returns true, so I changed my code to use...

the fact that you are using $id suggests you have register_globals on
- not recommended practice. and mixing using of auto registered globals ($id)
and the equivelant $_GET index ($_GET['id']) is going to lead to confusion
somewhere do the line.

if ($_GET['id'] != "")
{ 	$article="$id.php";
if (file_exists($article)) { include $article; } else { echo "The article you've requested does not exist!"; }
}
else {
echo "No article selected"; }

you hint that the id must always be an integer.... so sanitize your data as such.
to avoid nasty things happening, try like so:

if ($cleanID = intval( $_GET['id'] )) {
	$article = "$cleanID.php";
	if (file_exists($article)) {
		include $article;
	} else {
		echo "The article you've requested does not exist!";
	}
} else {
	echo "No article selected";
}

This works fine, except that when the url is www.mysite.com/index.php
I get the following error...

Notice: Undefined index: id in
/home/5217/tomchubb/public_html/index.php on line 14
No article selected
I kmow this will disappear when I turn off error reporting, but how
can I suppress it properly?