does PHP have a configuration setting for linefeed?

Hi everyone,

As you will read below I've got a strange problem happening with some
files after being rsync'd from one machine (FC3) to another (RH9).

Someone in the RedHat mailing list suggested that maybe the difference
was in the configuration files for PHP. I didn't find anything in
php.ini about it and a search on Google didn't turn up anything so I'm
bringing it to you fine people here.

Below is my original email to the Redhat list.

Thanks,
Chris.

====

Hello,

I've got a strange problem. When I use rsync to transfer text files from
my linux machine at home (FC3) to my friend's server (RH9 I believe) the
files are all double spaced.

The weird thing about though is that when I md5sum the files, they have
matching hashes. In other words, file-a.php on my server has the same
hash as file-a.php on his server.

Here some more strange things. I only see the double spacing when I open
the files through HTML-Kit on Windows. If I open the transferred files
via pico on his machine they look normal. [Added for PHP list] But if I
open the files via HTML-Kit from my own server they look normal. None of
these files are ever saved to the Windows machine (a temporary file is
created while editing though).

Another weird bit is that even though the files have the same hash, they
are still not exactly the same. The reason I know this is because when I
send a redirect header through PHP you cannot have any output to the
client before the header (assuming buffering is off). But on files that
have been rsync'd and have a header redirect, they always fail because
of the extra line at the very end of the file. If I remove all the extra
lines while in HTML-Kit and resave the file via FTP (directly built into
HTML-Kit) directly to his server the files start working again like
normal!

I think something is happening during the rsync.

Anyone know how I can fix it, or know what's REALLY going on??

Thanks,
Chris.