Re: Multipage form redux

Jim Moseby wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Jackson [mailto:jackson.linux@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 3:47 PM
To: php >> "[php] PHP General List"
Subject: Re:  Multipage form redux

hi, my first attempt at a sessions-based form is starting at

http://pastebin.com/322696

and I have a question. What I want to do is, after the user answers the questions in section one and they are error checked, I want to write the answers to $_SESSION() and then continue down the script to the next page of questions. I do *not* want to re-send the answers from page one as $_POST vars back to the user and have the user submit the answers to page 2 plus the $_POST answers from page 1.

What I am doing now is clearly wrong, basically :

if (empty($error)) {
        include_once($page2);
}

because that's keeping it all in one script. But how should I be getting to the next page, sending headers to a new script, and at the end of the chain the script which pulls it all together?

Thanks in advance,

JJ

This seems so simple to me.  As I understand it, you want to split a data
entry session into several pages.  You don't want to collect the data and
submit it all at the end, but instead commit it to session variables along
the way. Am I missing something?
Here's how I would do it in a nutshell:

Page1 // User enters first batch of data, presses SUBMIT at bottom.  Data is
POSTed to Page2

Page2 // Commit data from page 1 to session variables, then displays form
for next batch of data.  User presses SUBMIT, posts data to Page 3.

Page3 // Commit data from page 2 to session variables, then displays form
for next batch of data.  User presses SUBMIT, posts data to Page 4.

... etc etc etc  (Each page begins by assigning data from the previous page
to session variables)

Page515 // Displays all session variables set in previous pages, asks user
to confirm.  User confirms by pressing SUBMIT, confirmation POSTed to page
516, who writes it all to the database, and sends confirmation email.

Personally, I would take the advice of a previous poster and start off
assigning a username and password to the user.  Then store each page in the
database as the user progresses.  That way, if he is interrupted in the
middle of the process, he won't lose all his data and have to start over.
He can just enter his username and pick up where he left off. You will just
have to  write a script that purges old incomplete records. (A great job for
cron!)

JM

Right. Except I would rather have it working in a session because I specifically do not want to have the form sending $_POST data back and forth to the browser six times for several reasons. SO I'd like to

Page1 // User enters first batch of data, presses SUBMIT at bottom. Data is cleaned and written to SESSION, user passed to Page2

repeat as necessary to last page. At last page, process and error check newest input, then commit it, plus all previously stored session info to db.

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance