gzuncompress mysql blob field

Heya guys,

I've ran into a problem that I just can't seem to get around. Basically I am
storing file contents in a compressed format (gzcompress -at 9) in my
database -- why -- basically to affect a search of said content using
keywords retrieved via an input source (it could be any, doesn't really
matter). Anyways, all works fine, until the blob size reaches about 64kb,
then my script (and box) just completely crap out -- the page eventually
gets forwarded to a "page cannot be found" after a while (and this is even
if I have set my max_execution_time to like 5 seconds). Ok, so I theorized
it "may" be a memory consumption problem, so I played around with the
memory_limit directive in upwards of 100mg, and I still get the problem.
It's very wierd.. it works just fine if the blob size is below 64kb, but
just craps out when it is >=. Oh yeah, xp box. Thanks in advance,

Christian