Mail Function

Hi,

I have a web site that is going to have around total of 10-20 thousand
unique users, about 1000 unique hits per day on shared hosting.

I have been using PHP's internal mail mechanism with the local smtp
server on my hosting company, but it is more like a hit-and-miss kind
of thing. And, there are users complaining that they are not getting
any e-mail.

Can you guys please provide advise as to what the problem might be? I
don't think it is the local SMTP, because the way SMTP is configured
is pretty solid, and once you submit internally (not via port 25), it
should retry till it delivers it. So, I am thinking it might be
because of headers or something else.

So, should I use a more sophisticated mail library? Can you recommend any?

Thanks...