Re: Re[2]: comparing two texts

On Thu, June 23, 2005 5:25 am, Tom Rogers said:
> Hi,
>
> Thursday, June 23, 2005, 9:42:34 PM, you wrote:
> .
> .
> .
>
> JM> whereas I'll happily spend an hour writing up and contemplating
> someone
> JM> else's problem - I don't have five minutes for people who are
> expecting to be
> JM> spoonfed (go learn ASP and get a support contract, thanks ;-).
>
> Perhaps I missed it but could you point out the bit where the original
> poster asked to be spoon fed??

After she rejected using exec("diff") and then rejected a starter script
to roll her own and then said "I guess it can't be done" ???

Sounds like a request to have the pre-built PHP function already written
to do exactly what she wanted to me.

But maybe we're just being dense and not understanding what she wanted...

I doubt it, though.

I don't care, though.  Today's newbie is tomorrow's Programmer.  Some day
she'll maybe write that script she deemed impossible today, and contribute
it back to the community.

Or maybe she'll some day add a PHP Module to interface directly to "diff"
somehow.

Or maybe somebody else will read this thread and be inspired to write one
and contribute it.

Maybe it will spawn a hundred different 'diff' classes in the future.

Maybe it will die an ignomious death.

You makes your posts and you takes your chances.

[shrug]

If you get all bent out of shape by everybody that comes down the pike and
doesn't like that there isn't the phpBB equivalent of a "diff" feature
"out there" (or whatever feature they want) then you're in the wrong
place...

Lots of people build perfectly fine websites with pre-assembled large
bodies of code.  More power to them.

So they ask for Feature X and go away disappointed it's not there ready
for them.  Okay.

Enough of them ask, one of them will build it.

That's the beauty of OpenSource.

If you get discouraged by the 1,000 that ask before the one that builds...
 Re-think your commitment to OpenSource.

Enough philosophising.

Time to code.

--