RE: Re: security question...??

bruce <mailto:bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 1:38 PM said:

> what you state is true at the extreme... but in the case of an client
> app, i could already extract information about the various apps that
> make up the client.. ie if, as in the case of IE, I was able to get
> information from the IE browser about various dlls that make up the
> browser. if these pieces of information correclt match what msoft
> would state should be there, then i could assume that the app was/is
> legitimate.

Ok sure. But what you're not considering is that a malicious program
could STILL intercept the request for identification from the server and
send whatever information it wanted to, ultimately fooling your
identification system. Your server could never know the difference.
There's no way you, on the server end, could tell whether or not it was
a malicious program answering your questions or a legitimate program
answering your questions.

(This question is not supposed to be rude or sarcastic.) Have you ever
heard of a rootkit? Consider the way a rootkit works in this situation.
A rootkit hides itself from the user and the system so much so that it
is undetectable while the OS (and itself) are loaded. The way to detect
a rootkit is by scanning the system during a regular boot and then
scanning the system again before the OS has had the chance to load the
rootkit into memory. If there is a difference between the two scans,
you're likely infected.

In fact a rootkit can take it one step further by knowing that a scan is
being performed and return false information to the scanner so that when
the next scan is performed (before the rootkit is loaded) it'll look as
if nothing is going wrong.

Now how do you expect to determine that remotely?

> you're correct in stating that the existing methods don't permit this
> kind of transactions to occur. however, i'm of the believe that over
> time, they will.

I don't doubt that. But irregardless of this you're still not in the
position to determine whether or not the information you are receiving
is accurate. Ultimately you will have to trust that the information you
are receiving is accurate and valid. The methods by which your server is
fooled will increase along with the methods for accurately reporting the
client's configuration is increased.

> and here's why. while you may not give a damm, there will be a
> growing chorus of people who'll want to know that the
> developers/sites are doing everything they can to ensure the safety
> of the entire transaction. in fact, i'm willing to bet that somehting
> like what i've been discussing will be delivered, and promoted as a
> security/selling point...

I don't doubt this either. People will continue to blame everyone but
themself until they are blue in the face. If people really want change
they should put pressure on the manufacturer not the people providing
services. I.e. People should stop buying Windows and move to another OS
(until it's time to move away from that OS as well) until Microsoft gets
it's act together. MS would have put out Windows 2020 a year ago if all
of a sudden all their customers stopped purchasing their products.
They'd get the picture for sure. All of MS's efforts would be put into
making their product rock solid and not in adding feature after feature.

Respectfully,
Chris.