RE: Re: security question...??

chris...

what you state is true at the extreme... but in the case of an client app, i
could already extract information about the various apps that make up the
client.. ie if, as in the case of IE, I was able to get information from the
IE browser about various dlls that make up the browser. if these pieces of
information correclt match what msoft would state should be there, then i
could assume that the app was/is legitimate.

you're correct in stating that the existing methods don't permit this kind
of transactions to occur. however, i'm of the believe that over time, they
will.

and here's why. while you may not give a damm, there will be a growing
chorus of people who'll want to know that the developers/sites are doing
everything they can to ensure the safety of the entire transaction. in fact,
i'm willing to bet that somehting like what i've been discussing will be
delivered, and promoted as a security/selling point...

IE, I'm Wells Fargo, our site will talk in a secure manner with the
following browsers... anybody else, we'll let you peruse, but we'd rather
not exchange sensitive information!!

looks like we'll have to agree to disagree...

peace..