Compiling problem (apxs)

Hello,

I have a RedHat system running Apache and PHP Version 4.3.2.  These
were pre-installed Red Hat packages.  Things worked nicely.

But I needed to recompile PHP, because I need Oracle support, and this
package wasn't compiled with

  --with-oracle=/path/to/oracle/home/dir
  --with-oci8=/path/to/oracle/home/dir

So I downloaded the source, and tried to setup the ./configure with
the same options as the existing version, plus the two oracle lines.

But the compile fails with

checking for Apache 1.x module support via DSO through APXS...

Sorry, I was not able to successfully run APXS.  Possible reasons:

1.  Perl is not installed;
2.  Apache was not compiled with DSO support (--enable-module=so);
3.  'apxs' is not in your path.  Try to use --with-apxs=/path/to/apxs
The output of apxs follows
./configure: line 3169: apxs: command not found
configure: error: Aborting

What's odd is that when I look at phpinfo for the running PHP, it says
it was compiled like that.  But it's true that apxs does not exist on
the system.

Do I have to recompile Apache as well?  When I tried it without apxs,
it compiled and installed fine, but Apache was still loading the old
libphp4.so.  So the Apache version was still without Oracle.

All I'm trying to do is get PHP running with Oracle support.

Thanks
Shane