RE: Updating an open page with PHP

Alberto,

I believe this comes under the heading of "no such thing as a free
lunch", something needs to be reloaded to get the update from the
server.  Even an java applet with a direct database connection would
need to go back to the database on the server to accomplish the update,
but we were talking about PHP here, which has no presence in the
browser.  The typical agent present in the browser is JavaScript, and
reguardless of technique, the question posed asked "can a portion of the
webpage be updated without reloading the whole thing?" (at least that is
how I understood the question).

If you are proposing that the data on the webpage be updated without
reloading anything at all, you have to ask "where does the new data come
from?".  I suppose if you are good at anticipating what you want to
appear in the modified page you could transfer it with the original page
and place it in the page with JavaScript based on some event, but I
didn't think that is what you were looking for.

Warren Vail
warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx