OT ??: Form posting without leaving form

This is perhaps a javascript question....

Is there a way to post a form to a url without having a user submit from the form?

I have a php web page that is a detailed form with a lot of fields. If the user does some work on this form and let's it sit, their session can time out (I had this happen to the user after it sat for 2 hours). Is there some way to have a timer in the page and have partial form results sent back to the server, but still leave the form on the screen as-is? In other words, I want to have the client periodically post the form data back to the server, but leave the same web page displayed.

Thanks,
Bruce