Re: Howto implement atomical actions

On Sat, June 11, 2005 6:46 am, Andy Pieters said:
> I am developing a web interface to patch a program.  The user uploads the
> patch and after uncompressing and verification of signature, the update
> should take place.  However I do not want users to be able to start an
> update
> and then abort the process by stopping to load the page.
>
> I imagine that by calling a program externally from php that it would be
> possible but there are limitations because of the distribution.   The
> systems
> are installed on php+mysql+apache servers but no shell access is granted.

Perhaps it would be best to take PHP out of the picture entirely after the
upload.

For example, upload to a temporary directory, and, as your last PHP step,
use http://php.net/rename to move the uploaded file to a "to_be_installed"
directory.

Then you can have cron job 2 minutes that installs anything it finds in
that directory.

At that point, nothing the user can do can interfere.

That wouldn't necessarily make the operation atomic...

What makes a "patch" atomic?...

You'd be looking at something like subversion for that, I should think...

I don't think even tar -xzf guarantees atomicity, but I dunno.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm