Re: Re: reverse MD5 ???

That is incredibly interesting stuff, many thanks for that link! So the position seems to be that it may not be feasible to reverse MD5, but it is now feasible to create forged documents / binaries / whatever that result in exactly the same MD5 hash as the original.

I actually tried it out for myself... and indeed the two different documents produced the exact same MD5 sum.

Now I'm wondering... does this mean that I now need to download PHP binaries from multiple "trusted" sources, do the checksums on each separate download, *and* do a diff for each binary? That way a cracker has to infiltrate multiple servers in order for me to be affected by a cracked PHP binary?

Very interesting indeed...