Re: Telling users and machines apart

On Tue, June 7, 2005 5:39 am, Merlin said:
> I am getting more and more emails through my webforms submited by bots.
> It looks like some sites liky yahoo are placing an image into their forms
> and
> the human has to enter a code visible on the image to submit the form.
> After some googling I found captcha, but I do not like the images.
>
> Do you know if there is a class available for PHP which does create the
> image
> and does parts of the handling? That seems like a common task to me. Maybe
> someone else already implemented such thing and can recommend.

One of my clients was getting a zillion guestbook entries by weblink farm
jerks.

I could have installed CAPTCHA, I guess, but, honestly, I have a REALLY
hard time as a user guessing what all the letters are with all the
background noise they use -- I end up having to submit a form 3 times to
get a usable image.  Ugh.  Not a pleasant user experience.

Course, I never read the docs, so maybe that's a feature I could turn off...

Plus, I couldn't think of the name of CAPTCHA (again) so it would have
taken me longer to find that name than to just roll my own...

Anyway, I figured I could whip up my own crude not-CAPTCHA, and be able to
more easily support it, and so I did.

And now I've turned it into an example for you:

http://voodookings.net/eyesonly_example.htm

NOTE:
This wasn't intended to be "released" code.
It's very crude, one-off, for a starving musician client that pays me
$35/month, of which $20 goes to hosting fees...

Buy his CD if you like old-school bluesy/roots rock, so he can afford to
pay me more, and maybe I'll clean up the code :-)

http://cdbaby.com/voodookings2

PS
Yes, a spammer *COULD* use OCR to read that text in the image to be able
to continue spamming our guestbook...  Doesn't seem likely, eh?
If they do, I'll add "noise" to the image with GD, or just switch to
CAPTCHA. [shrug]

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm