Re: Quick q, most prolly 0T

On 6/2/05, Ryan A <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> Thanks for replying
>
> > > I noticed a site that is using php, but he is has shortened
> > > the url so that the filename was not shown..
> > > eg:
> > > somesite.com/?a=1
> > >
> > > How did they do that?
> >
> > It's called a directory index. Examples include index.html and
> > index.php. You configure this with the DirectoryIndex directive in
> > httpd.conf.
>
> I did see the directory index in the httpd.conf file, but let me explain a
> bit more about what
> I am trying to do.
> Basically I am waiting for the client to pay me...till he does, I am
> displaying the index page which
> is a under construction page...but he also wants to play with the site so I
> need to direct all calls
> to main.php...but i dont want to show the client that he is going to
> main.php so I wanted to use
> it like this clientssite.com/?do=blah

Personally I reckon  you should just enable the page. Once it is
already online, particularly if he has visitors, then it going offline
will be more expensive for him, than if it were never online.

Having that said, you could simply password protect it and give him
the password, or else require that any unauthorised IP's view the
under_construction page, whilst, an authorised IP will view the
correct page. This could be a simple if ($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] !=
'whatever'){ die("This page is under construction");