Re: php forum and (almost certainly 0T) client editor

On 5/31/05, Ryan A <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can anybody recommend a real bare bones forum that i can modify

I don't know what you mean by "bare bones" exactly (how stripped down
are you looking for?) but here are three fairly small forum systems
you might want to have a look at:

punBB - http://www.punbb.org/ (used it myself in the past, very nice
and slimmed down)
miniBB - http://www.minibb.net (powers the Textpattern forums)
bbPress - http://bbpress.org/ (powers the Wordpress forums, not really
stable yet as far as I can tell but looks promising)

Obviously you might have to put in a bit of work to make them
authenticate against a different database structure, shouldn't be too
difficult though.

> a tutorial for creating a forum

It would be quite difficult to write one of those to be honest,
there's an awful lot you need to take into account for even the
smallest of forums, unless you want something *very* simple like
WWWBoard (http://www.scriptarchive.com/wwwboard.html - written in Perl though).

> I will need a kind of "client editor" for when people write their messages
> into the forum,
> eg: make this bold and that italics and that centered and that with an image
> and so on
> I had actually seen a (dhtml, I think) form some time back where you could
> preview your
> message at the side as you made changes...somewhat like what google has for
> their
> ad-cents accounts where you can change the colors of your ad and immediatly
> it shows the
> changes at the side in a box.

Have a look at the code for the larger bulletin board systems - phpBB
(http://www.phpbb.com/) has this feature and it's open source (I would
recommend vBulletin as well but it's proprietory unfortunately). I
imagine someone out there has probably written a standalone module for
it too - try searching for "bb code wysiwyg" on Google or something
like that.

Hope this helps.

Paul

--