Re: Re: Free penetration test

Hehe, well put...a few things you forgot to write:

Ryan A and Rory Browne got so irritated because its like talking to a
tree.....in english when the tree
only understands some other language :-D
that they tried to throw in the towel

I was so fed up I was going to drop the whole thing because certain well
wishers  wrote
to me too telling me it was hopeless to try to reason or use logic with
him...and I pretty much
dropped it till he got the hairs at the back of my neck up by saying i like
saying things and running..
so am taking it offlist.

Consider this link:

http://www.somesite.com/section=servers&something=somethingelse&a=b&b=a&blah=jack&bill=gates&gates=evil&affilate=1145&more=gibberish&claudia=too_good_for_that_magician_guy

imagine someone gave you that kind of a link when you asked for
help.....pretty good but unless you really searched for it you would miss
the affiliate=1145 part...yes, its there..check it out...the affiliate could
be smaller too..something like aff=1045 but its lost in the other gibberish
of the url...

Decency would dictate that the person sending you the link tells you theres
an affiliate code there somewhere...
thats all I am saying....but I cant seem to get that message accross to
someone...so am pretty much throwing in the towel
after I have a few words offlist ;-)

But all in all, its been a pretty good few weeks  on the list  with no one
asking "which php editor is best" or
"how do you make a script sleep for x seconds" or "how do i do **** on the
clients machine?"

Peace all.

Cheers,
Ryan

On 5/31/2005 12:53:26 AM, Rory Browne (rory.browne@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Okay
>
> Let me summerise what has happened here.
>
> 1: The OP asked for a free penetration test.
>
> 2: Chris points out that his firm, which provides the suggested
> service, albeit not free, generally recommends a code audit instead.
>
> 3: Manuel Lemos, points out a site that provides a free sample test.
> The url includes a referer id, which Manuel
> doesn't see a need to
> mention.
>
> 4: Ryan A, points out that Manuel Lemos is "connected" to the site,
> and that his link contains a referer id. He suggests that such facts
> be explicitly disclosed.
>
> 5: Manuel Lemos, responds saying that it is irrelevent, that he gains
> income from his link to the site. He states that Chris Shifett is
> connected to the site that he mentions, and that the php group earn
> money from listing books on their website.
>
> 6: Ryan A, and Rory Browne(ie me) explain, that users generally like
> to know how to treat information they receive. They like to decide for
> themselves if the information may be biased. They also discredit
> Manuels statments regarding the php groups listing of amazon books.
>
> 7: Manuel repeats step 5, which results in Rory and Ryan repeating
> step 6. This happens numerous times. It becomes clear, that Manuel
will not listen to reason, and will instead repeat the same
discredited arguments. During this time, others point out that they
too would like to be informed of any potential bias, so that they can
decide for themselves if the information is actually biased.

8: Anonymous third parties, suggest via private email, that Manuel
cannot be reasoned with. I decide that I'd perfer to make such
assertions myself, without relying the judgement of others, and give
Manuel the benifit of the doubt. Manuel begins making wild
accusations, leading Ryan ane Rory to take the discussion off-list,
until such stage that a resolution is found.

Let me now summerise the above into an even shorter, and clearer message:

Grow up, and get a grip. We don't know you well enough to have some
wild conspiracy against you.