Re: Re: Free penetration test

Hello,

on 05/27/2005 11:50 PM Ryan A said the following:
I have requested the free test several times and it was very useful
because it brought my attention to aspects that I was not considering,
some related to PHP in specific and other related to Internet in
general.
fair enough, you could have given him the link the the page directly
_without_
your affiliate add on code, but since you did tack your aff code on, I
think
you should have mentioned it
That would be irrelevant because nothing changes for the anybody that
follows the link with or without the aff code. The service is still free
and the service is the same.

Not really, the service is still the same... true,
but what happens if he decides to buy one more scan (49$) from that site or
decides to buy a 1 month scanning option ($119) or 1 year scanning ($899)?
Does a little birdie get 35% (recurring) of that?

Read my phrase again: nothing changes for anybody that follows the link, whether or not anybody gains from any referrals.

That means that if a person that follows the link that I suggested buys $1000 worth of services or goods, he would still pay $1000 if the link did not contain my referral id.

I am sure that you that it happens that way, but the way you are putting you are confusing other people reading the thread by making them believe that the price would be different if I were to get any commissions. That is false. The price and the service are the same for any user.

---------
If I am acting with malice as you suggest just because I did not mention
that the URL contained my affiliate id, what would you say about the PHP
group that lists a pile of books in Amazon linked with their affiliate
id but they do not mention that fact anywhere in their pages?

http://www.php.net/books.php
----------
Ummm..... this is whats written on the page:
"If you buy the book using the links on this page, you are helping to
support PHP development! "
Lucky for me, English is my mother tongue but I think even if it was'nt and
my IQ was quite a bit lower
I would still the idea that if I buy a book using one of those links the
site was gaining from it.
Why? because they are being open,decent AND honest about it, see the
"If you buy the book using the links .....you are helping to support...."
parts?

You are not being serious and you are only acting with bias against me, as nowhere in that page it says that when you use those links, the PHP Group (I suppose) may earn 15% on commissions of books sold for their referrals to Amazon.

If I just go in that page or some other page that lists PHP books, pick the ISBN a book of Rasmus Lerdorf (the creator of PHP) and buy it directly in Amazon or somewhere else, I am sure I will be helping PHP development somehow, but the PHP Group would not get a cent for the referral.

Still, the links in those pages use the PHP Group Amazon affiliate ID, like the link I suggested before includes my affiliate ID. The books page omits the actual way it "helps PHP development" and the affiliate ID are hidden in HTML, unlike my message that was in plain text (I do not post in HTML ever).

For me, of course there is nothing wrong on the PHP Group help themselves making money with referrals. My point is that it is pretty common to not distract people with the details of who gets what with referrals because it does not change anything for who follows a link with our without the referral id. The price and the service is the same.

What matters is who wants free help can get free help even if that help provides some benefit to the person that is providing it. If a person that gets free help does not like that whoever provides the help benefits from that too, that person is just being ungrateful and so does not deserve to be helped.

Nobody is pointing fingers at you because you want to make money, EVERYONE

That is all you did!

you challenged my credibility by distorting the facts. Of course
that bugs me because for 8 years I have been participating in PHP
mailing lists helping people leading to solutions to the problems that
they pose, and your attitude is misleading people into believing that I
am not helping them.

Cool, just one question..... everytime you "help" someone are you helping
yourself
too like the way you tried to help Andy?

> Have you noticed some of the guys here who unselfishly answer something
> like:
> "I see what the problem is, use this code instead <code here> and replace
> this <code here>
> and try reading about this function here <url here>"
>
> Now, _thats_ unselfishly helping someone...no gain for the helper except
> that warm feeling
> and a clear concience....maybe even a good nights sleep.

Don't be ridiculous! Everybody gains something when he helps somebody on these lists. Sometimes people just feel good for being helpful (think for instance of Richard Lynch), other times people actually gain reputation and are contracted to provide paid jobs (think for instance of Chris Shifflet), some may even gain money indirectly from commission referrals (think of the PHP Group with the books page), etc.. You can think of me of anybody that may benefit of helping in any of the cases (although currently I am not for hire for any jobs).

Therefore, there is not really such thing of being "unselfish" here. Everybody gains some satisfaction for being helpful here. You would be fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.

My point above is that I dedicate full time to the PHP community professionally. Maybe you don't know what I do exactly for a living (I will let you figure it out as your home work), but all my time is taken with all the PHP related projects that I work on and at least hundreds of thousands of users benefit.

But I cannot dedicate full time to PHP projects unless it provides means to sustain myself and my family. So, if I come here and spend quite some time to help others, I need to justify to myself that time that I have to take for my regular (paid) work. That does not happen often, but if I posted a link with an affiliate id, is because I am (vaguely) justifying the time that I spent doing it. I am not hiding that, nor I am not ashamed because it is not a crime, by the contrary, I am helping somebody providing exactly the information that he asked, regardless if doing it that way I will ever benefit from it.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.phpclasses.org/