Re: Voting Polls and preventing multiple votes

On 5/26/05, Dan Rossi <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there I am mocking up a quick voting poll system, however I would
> like to put hooks in place to prevent users posting more than once,
> voting bots etc.
You could use a captcha(www.captcha.net afaik), to prevent bots from voting.

Is there a way to prevent them, obviously sessions,
> cookies, host ips cant be used as they can be removed, and especially
> with host ips , ppl are usually behind a proxy ip that doesnt
> forwarding the referring ip.
Proxies usually send the referer using HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR. If this
isn't the case, then I don't think there is much other information.
Even if you did have the IP address, you can't tell if its static, or
dynamic.