Building multi-page Word docs with PHP?

Hi,

I currently create my multipage docs by saving my word templates as chunks
of rtf and then calling them as required as a very long string then
outputting them to an rtf file and renaming it as '*.doc'. It works great
except for the filesize which comes out at 900k for a two-page document.
Opening in Word and saving reduces the file down dramatically, but that
would prevent auto-generation and emailing - without human intervention.

Does anyone know how to either create multipage docs in Word format to begin
with, or to convert (on the fly) rtf to doc, or to save rtf as smaller file?

MTIA

George