Re: SMarty and commercial php (a little 0t)

I'd recommand you to use the HTML_TEMPLATE_IT. It's a PEAR class for
templating; I've personaly worked on it for building skinnable applications
in which users and admins can change the look of the pages. Bottom line,
it's a PEAR library/extension so no hastle since most of the hosts include
it in their PHP installations. This template does alot of handy jobs such as
nested blocks templating and rendering. However, it does not have the bells
and the whistles of Smarty. Simply it does the job, it's efficient, and very
elegant since your HTML templates would have only 2 extra stuff. One which
is the HTML style comments to define and close blocks and the, Two which is
the variable names to be placed whithin curly braces. So templating does not
realy have a language in IT it's just a ditributed method of writing HTML
and feeding data which forms another Tier in your application not another
Application by itself.
 Benefits you'll get by using this PEAR library/extension is that you
wouldnt need to tutor the designers on how to use a procedural markup
templating language hence more flexibility and shorter learning curve. And
plus it does not need no configuration and you could write your own nice
wrapper classes to do special things for you, such as rendering pages
templates, or blockwise template files with predefined variable to be
inserted in the template files.... simple as that. e.g. you could write a
function or a class method to route template files and then only pass them
an array and the function would do the whole thing from rendering to
displaying..... especialy if you use the Web Standards and Semantic Design
skinning would mean only switching CSSs and slight changes in your
structural markup(template files).
 Note: If by any change your ISP/Host does not have the PEAR package
installed you could just put it in a directory and simply append it to your
include_dir directive so that you could include/require the class file (only
1 file is the whole package) directly w/o routing to its location.
 I'd honestly never implement Smarty for an application I'd work alone on
and then give it up to designers.... I'd use Smarty while working with team
mates of the same range of understanding of the Web Dev/ Design in a team
environment for better performance and that's only if the application
screens are more than 100 and the administration.
 HTH.
 M.Saleh.E.G
97150-4779817