PHP5 binaries

It seems that none of the current major Linux distros provide PHP5 binary installation packages. By major I mean, RedHat, Fedora (it will be in F4 when released), Mandriva, Debian, Ubuntu, possibly others. Seriously, none have standard PHP5 packages, even optional ones. Does no-one use PHP5??? It's not exactly bleeding edge, having made a final release nearly a year ago.

I'm trying to set up an automatable installation system for such evident rarities as RedHat Enterprise Linux 4, and I just can't find anything workable. Even php4 binaries are rare (especially ones with flexible options including things like pcntl). Perl is massively supported, with binaries for hundreds of extensions widely available. Why does PHP get such second-rate treatment? Is it particularly hard to build packages for?

I'm quite used to building PHP5 from source, but it's not the most elegant way of deploying things. The PHP download page says "Most Linux distributions come with PHP these days, so if you do not want to compile your own, go to your distribution's download site.", but that's no use if no-one actually provides them for current releases.

Even in the various rpm repositories PHP5 is a rare beast - for example rpmforge's members don't include it. rpmbone provides some very basic rpms, but they suffer from dependency problems (even when accessed via apt-get).

Any other ideas?

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture