Re: Re: why are session only working with cookies?

Brian V Bonini wrote:
On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 23:31, Jason Wong wrote:

On Saturday 14 May 2005 09:42, Brian V Bonini wrote:

Yeah, I know session support is there and I DO NOT have it set to use
ONLY cookies. But if I disable cookies in the browser stuff relying on
sessions stops working. I'm using 5.0.3

session.use_trans_sid
0
0

Set that to 1. Sessions *are* cookies, they're cookies that have been set to expire when the browsing session finishes (ie when the browser is closed).

I thought the idea was; cookies if available otherwise the session data
gets serialized and propagated in the URL? The later of which appears to
not work, for me, if applicable....

While it is possible that you might save some data in a cookie (yes, I've seen it done) that's not usually the way that it works. Usually it's just as Richard has already described; the cookie just stores a name / value pair that identifies which session is yours and then PHP goes and retrieves that record.

If you don't want to rely on cookies then using trans_sid is seriously the next best way to go. So go turn it on if you don't want to require cookies, it really should be that simple! Then the name / value pair is attached to the URLs instead of stored in a cookie.

<wonders>Do people actually try the code that I post to the list?</wonders>