Re: 'Require' and 'Select' lists

On Saturday 14 May 2005 02:14 am, you wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2005 5:59 am, Andre Dubuc said:
> > However, the behavior continues intermittently. I've duplicated it one
> > time.
> > If I click on the 'State' dropdown list, allow the mouse to scan through
> > it,
> > but do not choose a value, and then immediately go to the previous or
> > next field and click on it, the box where 'USA or Canada' appears will be
> > blank (despite '<option selected value="In USA or Canada">In USA or
> > Canada</option>'). For the life of me, I cannot figure why it's doing
> > that.
>
> This is a browser/OS bug.
>
> It's possible that it's even time-dependent -- That if you click in the
> popup list before it's fully formed, then you can make this happen, but
> after it gets completely built, you can't duplicate this.
>
> At any rate, there is nothing you can do about it.
>
> Well, okay, you can complain to the browser-makers, and be ignored by
> them...
>
> I guess one thing that *MIGHT* help would be to ob_start() before you send
> out all the option tags, and then ob_flush()/flush() after the /select
> closing tag.
>
> The purpose being that you want the browser to build the whole menu with
> as few interruptions as possible, so it will not get used while it is
> half-built.
>
> I would not RELY on this actually fixing the problem for sure 100% every
> time you betcha, but it could reduce the incidence.
>
> > As a hack, I've included a new routine checking for blank or null value
> > for
> > $selstate that snags problems before they hit the database. However, I'd
> > rather know why this is happening.
>
> Browsers and the data coming from them are flaky, if not downright hostile.
>
> That's just how life is.
>
> It's not a problem to solve.  It's a state of being to accept and plan
> for. :-)
>
> Maybe it's time to just re-write the script the right way, the way you
> would do it today... :-)
>
> You probably have already spent more time trying to figure this out than
> it would have taken to just re-code it with your better experience.

Thanks Richard,

Ain't life beautiful? I live for these debugging moments with *challenged*
browsers!

So, I'll stick with the hack. I've thrown the whole mess back at the browser
and will let the user correct the *problem*.

Re-write the code? Yup, sometime in the near future - around July 2020 - I
believe I have a few days available :>

Regards,
Andre