Re: [thelist] SEO

> For example:
>
> mysite/sweaters/
>
> (I think) is better than:
>
> mysite/index.php?section=1&content=23&style=5.

It's more usable I guess. What handles that though? I'm finding it
hard to organise the back end of that in my head.

I don't think there's any way around that ending up looking for an
index file in the sweaters directory. So then you're ending up with
lots of index files. Maybe they could redirect to the one program that
answers the query, but it's still quite messy. I agree however that
user mess should be reduced even if it increases implementation mess.
The user wins over the developer.

But, in the directory method there's only one way to segment the
clothes. You're predefining the routes people would take. For
instance, here you're saying people will select sweaters, maybe shoes,
then maybe hats in separate transactions.

Personally, I know blue suits me, so I'd want to see all the blue
things in the shop.

I'm also 6'6" tall and take size 14 shoes, so I want to know which of
those blue things fits.

My way caters for that. It allows the user to get what they want from
my database.

The next person may want rainwear, or beachwear.

The directory method gives a very lightweight version of usability. It
might even be argued that it puts a straightjacket around the way
people select items. Surely usability, if it gives anything, provides
an understanding of the breadth of people's requirements. Or maybe I'm
thinking more of functionality than usability.