Re: Re: Same sessions / different domains

On Fri, May 13, 2005 1:06 am, Marek Kilimajer said:
> Richard Lynch wrote:
>> On Thu, May 12, 2005 6:58 am, Shaun said:
>>
>>>$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']
>>>
>>>"Mbneto" <mbneto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I need to access a website (written in php) using two different
>>>domains (www.foo.com and www.bar.com). I must see the same content.
>>>
>>>Since the site uses session and cookie variables I was wondering if
>>>(and how) it's possible to create a session id that is valid for the
>>>domains I'll be using...
>>

>> There is no built-in way to just tell the browser that it's okay for
>> cookie X to work for both foo.com and bar.com
>>
>> You will have to write some code that passes the cookie name/value
>> between
>> foo.com and bar.com
>>
>> You might have a special script like 'propogate_cookie.php' something
>> like:
>> <?php
>>   $var = $_REQUEST['var'];
>>   $value = $_REQUEST['value'];
>>   setcookie($var, $value);
>> ?>
>>
>> Put this on both servers, and then when somebody surfs to foo.com you
>> do:
>> <?php
>>   session_start();
>>   $file =
>> file("http://bar.com/propogate_cookie.php?var=PHPSESSID&value=";
>> . session_id());
>> ?>
>
> The above will deadlock. session_start() locks the session file, then
> you try to read from http://bar.com/propogate_cookie.php, this script
> will try to use the same session file, but it will be never unlocked.
>
> Propagating session id in url when linking across domains and having
> common session storage is completely sufficient. If you are concerned
> user might browse to the other domain by other means than using a link
> from the first domain, you can use a 1x1 pixel image linking to the
> other domain with session id in url.

I was actually thinking of foo and bar as totally separate machines when I
typed that, mostly.

But I'm not quite convinced that doing a setcookie on bar.com is going to
deadlock the session from foo.com, even if they use the same file-system.

It will deadlock if the user tries to have foo and bar windows open at
once, or if the webmaster mixes foo and bar in a single page, but the
setcookie all by itself should not deadlock, I don't think...

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm