From: Sam Smith [mailto:php@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2005 5:57 AM
To: PHP
Subject:  phpMyAdmin authentication error

On OS X 10.3 I installed the latest MySQL from dev.mysql.com for OS X 10.3.
It was a Apple style installer package with a binary of the server and the
client.

The docs weren't exactly written for OS X but I survived the set up and am
able to login as the root  MySQL user with the command line MySQL client.

>From version tracker I got phpMyAdmin-2.6.2-pl1.tar.bz2 which is just a .tar
of a bunch of files you drop into the web server path.

But phpMyAdmin gives the error, "Client does not support authentication
protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client." I don't see
a way to change the auth protocol in the phpMyAdmin conf file:
config.inc.php.

If I create a MySQL user with no password phpMyAdmin works.

Because the install was from mysql.com I don't want to believe the client is
out of date. I also don't know how to install another client.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks