Re: Templating systems for single developers?

I use Smarty and am the lone developer. Why - Easiest to give an example that I did.

I have my site with 7 pages. Each page has a minimum of 4 templates for it (though 6 is the average). Time goes on and I decided I wanted to completely change the look of my site (currently can't handle the increasing amount of data and pages easily) and make it xhtml compliant. Rewrite the CSS and modify the templates to allow for the new changes. Site revamped and xhtml compliant in less then a week. Couldn't do that as quickly if I wasn't on a templating system. Maybe next time I overhaul the site I will work toward making it more accessible.

Murray @ PlanetThoughtful wrote:
Hi All,

Given that templating seems to be a hot topic at the moment, I'm wondering
if anyone here uses templating in a single developer environment, and why if
so?

I've looked at various template systems from time-to-time but I've always
come away thinking, 'yep, I can see the point in a team environment,
particularly one that mixes designers and coders, but what would be the
benefit to a lone developer like me?'

So, if anyone out there uses a templating system (ie Smarty, PHPSavant etc)
and they don't work in a team environment, I'd love to hear what benefits
you derive from so doing.

Much warmth,

Murray

-- Respectfully, Ligaya Turmelle