Re: Help with regex: breaking strings down to 'words' and 'phrases'

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Murray @ PlanetThoughtful wrote:

Hi All,

I'd very much appreciate some help building a regular expression for
preg_match_all that can differentiate between 'words' and 'phrases'.

For example, say I have a string that contains: 'this is an "example of a
phrase"'

I'd like to be able to break that down to:

this

is

an

example of a phrase

I haven't thought this through fully, but what if you exploded the string on " into an array. Then loop through the array and for every even element, explode on a space, otherwise just store the whole string into the new array.

-philip