RE: Any alternative to POST method FTP uploads from client computer?

> Hi,
>
> On 5/9/05, Murray @ PlanetThoughtful <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I need to implement the ability to ftp upload files from client machines
> via
> > a form in a web application I'm developing.
> >
> > From reading the PHP help, all I can find to perform this is the POST
> method
> > for handling file uploads
> > (http://au2.php.net/manual/en/features.file-upload.php).
> >
> > From my perspective, while this seems to work, there are a couple of
> > drawbacks, most important of which is that it seems you can only do
> > comparisons of the uploaded file, against the potential that the file
> has
> > already been uploaded, once the file has already been uploaded and is
> > sitting in the server temp directory.
>
> Instead use the dynamic file names....
>
> say you upload a file filename.jpg
>
> when u upload it name it dynamiccaly by appending date and time before
> the file name
>  like this
>
> 2005050501010-filename.jpg

Hi, yes, I'm already doing this. Conflict of filename isn't my issue -- it's
whether or not the file should be uploaded at all, in the first place.

The difficulty being that you can't examine the file until *after* it has
been uploaded.

As others have suggested, using an ftp client application is one way to
handle it, however, users being users, the feedback has been "Why do we need
to upload the files via an ftp client, *then* go to the web application and
attach the filename to a job entry? Why can't we do it all at once?"

The answer being, "Well, you can, but I bet you're going to be even more
annoyed when you've uploaded a huge file via the web application using the
POST upload method, only to find that the file is already there. Serves you
right for having too many stakeholders in uploading the files, dunnit?"

Sometimes, you just can't win. Not that I don't understand the
practicalities involved, but this one feature would have been nice.

Regards,

Murray