Re: Finding out their server type

On Wed, May 4, 2005 4:44 am, Computer Programmer said:
> I asked a question at Apache.org mailing list about how to hide my server
> type; and now I'm asking here how can I know someone's server type using
> PHP?

Search http://php.net for "headers" and "remote" and you'll find a
function or two that will do it.

If they have successfully implemented what you read on Apache, then you
don't have any way to find out what somebody else is running.

... Well, at least not easily.  You can search for files that end in
".asp" which usually would only be on Windows, and you can search for
files that end in .cgi which would usually pre-dispose you to guess it's
running Perl and Linux.  You can attempt to access 404 pages and evaluate
the output to maybe guess what they are running.

There are any number of more malicious things that Bad Guys do, such as
(I've been told) probing for known security holes, and if the box suddenly
fails, well, then you know they were running the software version that was
subject to that bug.  As I recall, there was rumored to be a script that
would run successive attacks against Windows boxes, and by knowing at what
point the box died, you'd know exactly what version and service pack they
had.  Dunno if the Bad Guys still do that, nor if it's current, nor
anything, really.  This was years and years ago.

Of course, you are running PHP *on* their server, your script could check
any number of variables or use http://php.net/php_sapi_name

Hope that helps.  It would have been easier to answer your question if you
explained more about what you were doing and why.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm