Re: Session Expiring

On Fri, April 29, 2005 10:28 am, John Martinez said:
> I want to have the page expire after ten minutes of inactivity. For
> example, if you goto Travelocity.com and do a search then sit idle for
> awhile it refreshes the page with a notice that you've been idle etc.
> I want to dupe this but I only know the cheeseball way of using the
> meta tag http-equiv-refresh.
>
> What's a good alternative to using http-eqiuv-refresh?

As far as PHP goes, you can expire the session *OR* force them to re-login
after time X with the same session easily enough when they hit a new page.

But as far as having the browser doing something when it's idle, it's
*NOT* going to be PHP!

PHP lives on the server.  It knows *nothing* about an idle browser.

As far as I know, though, the only alternative to the HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH"
would be some kind of JavaScript timer, which, to me, would be even more
cheeseball than HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH"...  But that's just me.

Why don't you just look at Travelocity.com HTML source.  Whatever they are
doing, it has to be in there, and it *CANNOT* be in anything server-side.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm