RE: Re: Templating engines

> Evert | Rooftop Solutions wrote:
> > Yes, and that's how I read this reply =)
> >
> > About the subject,
> >
> > I'm working on a xml-based templating system, which caches all the
> > steps it does, so it overcomes the slowness =) And ofcource
> because I
> > like xml and all the neith things you can do with it.
> >
> > grt,
> > Evert
>
> OK so besides the geek factor involved, what makes an
> xml-based template system that much better?  The main benefit
> that I've ever heard was it can make it easier for producing
> output for heterogenous displays...
>
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/
>
> The most obvious answer example that comes to my mind is
> Mozilla / IBM, but then again XForms is also on my "Little
> Dog Too" list.

Switching HTML to XHTML output is very trivial.
	<xsl:output mode="xml" ... /> to <xsl:output mode="html" ... />

Ensures proper escaping, which helps to eliminate XSS problems.

Can use indenting to produce easier to read HTML (for debugging purposes) and then switch it off to save space/bandwidth in
production.
	<xsl:ouput indent="yes" ... /> and <xsl:output indent="no" ... />

Xpath string functions provide support for multiple character sets/encodings. [I haven't used Smarty, but I'm aware a IntSmarty had
to be created to cater for things like this.]

Mozilla & IE both can perform client side transforms, using <?xml-stylesheet ?> processing instruction.

Jared